For immediate release, 8 October 2012
Bigger and Better than ever before and for the first time in Manchester
A central Manchester hotel is playing host to one of the country's leading vision charities this October.
The Nystagmus Network is holding its annual Open Day at the Mercure Piccadilly hotel on Saturday 20th October. Delegates who are mostly people and parents of children affected by nystagmus will be able to meet and share experiences with other people who have the complex eye condition.
This year we will have sessions around school and work will be prominent. Delegates including orthoptists, teachers and other professionals, will have the opportunity to meet experts from the fields of vision research, eye health and genetics.
Richard Wilson chairman, Nystagmus network, said:
"Open Day is our annual big event and is always great fun. For many people it will be the first time they have met other people with the same eye condition. The chance to chat and share experiences is really important and for parents it is hugely reassuring. We are looking forward to all the hospitality that Manchester has to offer."
This year's Open Day will be bigger; bookings are already ahead of previous years, there will be more exhibitors, and many people taking advantage of the availability of overnight accommodation. Better; this is the first Open Day to be held in a city centre hotel, offering in-house catering and excellent transport links. And for the first time it is being held in Manchester.
For further information contact:
Steve McKay, External communications officer
Tel: 01626 206726
John Sanders, NN Information and development manager
Tel: 029 2045 4242 or 0845 634 2630
Notes to editors
- Nystagmus Network was set up in 1984 to support people with nystagmus and encourage research into the condition. Nystagmus Network is a registered charity (number 803440). Sir James Galway is patron of NN.
- Teachers of visually impaired children report that more than half the children they work with have nystagmus.
- The Nystagmus Network has over 600 members and was the first support group in the world for people with nystagmus.
- Telephone helpline 029 2045 4242 or 0845 634 2630
- Website: www.nystagmusnet.org
- Twitter: twitter.com/nullpoint15 and twitter.com/press_nystagmus
- Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Nystagmus-Network/216838805015328
- The third annual National Eye Health Week takes place 17 - 23 September 2012. The week aims to raise awareness of the importance of good eye health and the need for regular sight tests for all. Visit visionmatters.org.uk for further information
- Carrots NightWalk - See London in the Dark 2012 is a sponsored 15 mile walk around London that takes place on Friday 21 September. To sponsor the Nystagmus network walkers go to http://www.justgiving.com/Steve-McKay1