For immediate release, 21 September 2012
Launch of the most comprehensive book so far written about nystagmus
The first scientific book dedicated solely to nystagmus is published during National Eye Health Week and will be essential reading for anyone with an interest in nystagmus - whether clinical or research.
Nystagmus Network (NN) launches "The Challenge of Nystagmus: Proceedings of the Nystagmus Network Research Workshop, Abingdon, UK, 2-5 September 2009." (ISBN#:978-0-9558940-2-2).
There are 25 chapters written by some of the world's leading experts on nystagmus. The book brings the reader up to date on current nystagmus research, treatment and management options, showing that early onset nystagmus is a developmental condition. It also shows that considerable progress has been made in understanding and diagnosing nystagmus in the past 20 years.
Richard Wilson, chairman, Nystagmus Network, said:
"This is an important publication that brings together the world's leading experts on this complex eye condition. We are raising money to bring the experts together again in 2013 so that we continue to make the most of their work to support people with nystagmus."
Francesca Marchetti Chair of National Eye Health Week comments:
"The Challenge of Nystagmus" provides valuable insights to eyecare professionals who are responsible for managing and treating the condition, which affects the tens of thousands of people across the UK. Yet more research is needed into this complex condition and we hope that the Network will raise valuable funds when it takes part in the Carrots NightWalk at the end of National Eye Health Week."
For further information contact:
Steve McKay, External communications officer
Tel: 01626 206726
John Sanders, NN Information and development manager
Tel: 029 2045 4242 or 0845 634 2630
Notes to editors
- Eye Care Conference 2 - From left to right: Matt Dunn, PHD Research Unit for Nystagmus; Tom Margrain, Cardiff University's Research Unit for Nystagmus; John Sanders, Nystagmus Network; Chris Purdon, Production Editor of The Challenge of Nystagmu
- Eye Care Conference 3 - From left to right: Matt Dunn, PHD Research Unit for Nystagmus; Chris Purdon, Production Editor of The Challenge of Nystagmus; Tom Margrain, Cardiff University's Research Unit for Nystagmus; Ceri Jackson, Chair of the National Eye Health Week Steering Group in Wales; John Sanders, Nystagmus Network
- Nystagmus Network was set up in 1984 to support people with nystagmus and encourage research into the condition. Nystagmus Network is a registered charity (number 803440). Sir James Galway is patron of NN.
- Teachers of visually impaired children report that more than half the children they work with have nystagmus.
- The Nystagmus Network has over 600 members and was the first support group in the world for people with nystagmus.
- Telephone helpline 029 2045 4242 or 0845 634 2630
- Website: www.nystagmusnet.org
- Twitter: twitter.com/nullpoint15 and twitter.com/press_nystagmus
- Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Nystagmus-Network/216838805015328
- The third annual National Eye Health Week takes place 17 - 23 September 2012. The week aims to raise awareness of the importance of good eye health and the need for regular sight tests for all. Visit visionmatters.org.uk for further information
- Carrots NightWalk - See London in the Dark 2012 is a sponsored 15 mile walk around London that takes place on Friday 21 September. To sponsor the Nystagmus network walkers go to http://www.justgiving.com/Steve-McKay1